Precious Plastics Builders Meetup

Its was a pleasure meeting with you guys. very interesting conversations. Am looking forward to more things to come. Looks like work is now cut out. Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks again everyone for coming and contributing on Saturday! I’m really excited to build this thing.

Like we discussed, I’ll handle the finances and overall coordination. To that end, I’ve put together a Google Sheet to track everything. On it, you’ll find:

• My contact info. Don’t hesitate if you have any questions, or need to send me mpesa.
  • The schedule. We’re looking to assemble in two weeks!
  • The teams and roles we agreed to yesterday.
  • A link to specific forum topics for each team (knives, motor/gearbox, etc.).
  • The budget and finance tracking (on a separate tab).

Hi all! Excellent meetup today. We have our motor, gearbox, and electrical box all ready to go. I took the liberty of taking measurements of each of them to help with drafting the frame (I shared these in the frame discussion, too).

The pieces remaining to be procured are:

1. A 12" pulley to connect the motor to the gearbox
  2. A belt for that pulley
  3. A couple to connect the driveshaft to the gearbox
  4. The driveshaft
  5. The knives
  6. The frame and hopper

The knives team are still working on sourcing material to determine if it will be cheaper to machine it ourselves or to have it laser cut at Pipeman’s. The frame team can start designing that using the dimensions above.

We haven’t set a date for the next meetup, but I’ll follow up shortly both here, on Gearbox’s main website, and on meetup.com as soon as we know a bit more about the timeline for the knives.

A huge thanks to everyone for coming together and building something amazing!

hi guys sorry I have being missing in action school has me tied down…
Anyway I have a friend who is looking for a plastic plate with the dimensions below…
3m x 2m x 0.15m

If anyone has an idea on the price and where to get it it would be really helpful…
Thank you and have a blessed day

That’s a massive plate, @dunkan502! What kind of plastic do you need? I’ve bought 8’x4’ sheets of acrylic before, but never thicker than 15mm.

I don’t know of a place which stocks such massive plastic. May be if i knew the application i could recommend alternative material

Hi everyone, I’m very happy to be able to join your group!
Brief info about me: My name is Katharina Elleke and I’m studying industrial design in Munich.
This semester (so since October) I am in Kenya doing a project about waste and recycling and when I figured out that shredder is quite a big issue and started researching - I found you!

Can someone tell me shortly, what still needs to be done and if the next meeting is in sight?
Best regards!
Katharina

Hello,

Is anyone still active on this?

Mattia from Precious Plastic.
We would need a little parts built for a partner in Kenya.
We’re looking for the lathed axe for the shredder.

Anyone able to help us with that?
Job would be paid.

Let us know.
Mattia