Mitsumoto, a leading manufacturer of air, fuel and oil filters based in Nakuru, has a job opening for a Research and Development Engineer
To co-ordinate and manage product, tool and process development activities and ensure all standard operating procedures are followed and properly approved and documented.
- Review current R&D standard operating procedures (SOP) and establish new ones as necessary then train staff and ensure compliance of the approved SOP and update the SOP master.
- Develop strategic planning for product, tool and process development activities.
- Provide technical direction and guidance, as well as hands-on project management, for all product development.
- Design of products & tools using CAD software preferably Autodesk inventor , solidworks or AutoCAD
- Impart CAD & CAM software applications knowledge to junior staff
- To finalize and control the Designs / Drawings / Parts Lists / Process developments / ECR/ ECN and Technical approval from customers / Marketing head of the existing as well as new products and releasing relevant information to various sections for smooth and efficient running of the operations of concerned Products.
- Review current product costing, update bill of materials and product price master.
- To maintain and upgrade customers / Competitors samples and Manuals and to create and maintain documentation of them.
- Develop and maintain current raw materials specifications as per the product requirement and update the raw material specification master.
- Develop and maintain current packaging specification including artworks and get approval and update the packing master.
- Develop and maintain quality control SOP as per the product specifications and training the production staff as necessary.
- To analyse and resolve both internal & external complaints by use of scientific problem solving tools in real time.
- Handle and follow-up R&D projects from inception to completion and give update to management on the achievements as per timelines agreed. Ensure correct and accurate documentation is maintained.
- Conduct random audits of R&D masters to ensure all are in conformance to set standards.
- Ensure an audit master is well maintained.
- Ensure implementation and follow up of audit calendar.
- To research new methods and technologies employed in automotive filtration industry.
- Allocate jobs to subordinates, monitor and measure output.
- Work closely with Human resource department to attract, identify, manage, develop and retain staff within the unit
- Foster and promote collaborative team working and a culture that promotes Mutsimoto values
- Provide mentorship (including on the job training – team members in the use of the right tools for the right job/in machine maintenance and the production team on safe and effective use of machines) and coaching to staff within the unit and conduct evaluation tests
- Develop and execute departmental strategies and work plans in line with organisational objectives
- Prepare unit budgets and track costs against budget
- Ensure effective and transparent resource allocation
- Chair and attend cross functional team (CFT) meetings for troubleshooting, sensitisation/knowledge sharing etc
- BSc Mechanical Engineering or Higher National Diploma in an equivalent discipline
- Registered member of Engineering Society of Kenya is an added advantage
- Not less than 5 years similar experience; five of which are in a management position
Additional Skills and Requirements
- Product and tool design skills using CAD software
- Ability to transfer knowledge
- Ability to analyse and troubleshoot technical challenges and use scientific problem solving tools.
- Must be able to lead and motivate a technical team
- Effective oral and written communication
- Good report writing skills (facts, figures, data, numbers and analysis)
- Self-starters with personal initiative
- Results oriented
- Practical project management knowledge and skills and ability to forecast
- Flexible working hours
- Leadership skills coupled with strong team work and team management skills
- Ability to manage all stakeholders
- Ability to follow through on tasks and projects
- Ability to think logically
- Attention to detail and precision
- Ability to think outside the box